What Is PCOS?
PCOS refers to Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, which is a common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age. Women with this disorder might have prolonged menstrual periods or excess amount of male hormone levels, which can make them suffer from severe acne and baldness similar to men.
Though the exact cause of PCOS is not known early diagnosis followed by maintaining a healthy lifestyle and diet can go a long way in managing this problem. Recently PCOD is now known as PCOS as “D” stands for disease & “S” stands for the syndrome. The only way to manage PCOS is weight loss & good lifestyle. Let’s look one by one as to how healthy lifestyle and diet can help PCOS women:
Impact Of Healthy Lifestyle On Women With PCOS:
Leading a healthy lifestyle is a must and considered as one of the first steps to managing PCOS. Healthy lifestyle deals with having the proper knowledge and guidance about the types of diet that one should follow, stay well informed about the role of carbohydrates, fat and protein. Healthy Lifestyle generally starts with healthy diet, regular exercises in the form of jogging, cycling and involving oneself in other physical activities by going to gym, thereby maintaining a healthy weight.
Following all these in a religious manner over a period of time would help to:
- Reduce the resistance of insulin
- Bring forth improvements of other hormonal problems in PCOS.
- Improve upon menstrual cycles.
- Improve a woman’s ability to conceive.
- Prevent long-term complications like type 2 diabetes.
How Staying Healthy and Maintaining Proper Weight Can Help Tackle PCOS?
PCOS can occur among women who are slim as well as on those with overweight, still, overweight women would struggle a lot more, especially with those having extra weight around the abdomen. The reason which researchers feel, why this happens, is due to insulin resistance and change in appetite hormones that lead to hunger, though they are not completely sure of it. Healthy lifestyle and weight reduction of five to ten percent can lead to a range of benefits for women with PCOS. The benefits which they would come across are:
- Insulin resistance is reduced.
- Menstrual cycles get regulated
- Ovulation gets and restored with improvements in fertility
- Reduction in testosterone and improve hair and acne
- Health remains in better shape during pregnancy.
- Risk of diabetes and heart disease get reduced.
- Impact of Healthy Diet On Women With PCOS
A healthy diet means having food items which would provide the necessary nutrients to maintain good health and enjoy life. There are foods which one can have at any point in time while others could be eaten occasionally.
- Food at Short Intervals: Eating every few hours over the day is recommended rather than having large meals and keeps a large gap between them.
- Carbohydrate Is A Must: Women with PCOS must have carbohydrates like whole grains, wheat, oats, rice, fruits, and vegetables which provide the essential nutrients and fiber. They should reduce consuming refined carbohydrates which are there in biscuits, cakes, and drinks.
- Intake of Protein: Moderate protein intake is required for women with this hormonal disorder, as protein reduces hunger levels and thus it’s helpful for PCOS women to reduce weight. Avoid taking protein in the form of bars and powders.
- Good Fats: Good fat intake allows for higher androgens, better reproductive health, stronger libido, better athletic performance, and lower body fat.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!